Rocky Mountain Health Plans is responsible for authorizing inpatient and residential substance use disorder treatment stays as part of administering Health First Colorado’s capitated behavioral health benefit. On January 1, 2021, Health First Colorado, Colorado’s Medicaid program, expanded its substance use disorder (SUD) benefit. Residential and inpatient treatment and withdrawal management services have been added to the Department of Health Care Policy & Financing existing list of covered SUD services, giving Members access to a full range of treatment options.
Prior Authorization Notification Process
The following services require preauthorization before the Member starts treatment:
- Level 3.7- Medically Monitored Intensive Inpatient
- Level 3.5- Clinically Managed High-Intensity Residential
- Level 3.3- Clinically Managed Population-Specific High-Intensity Residential
- Level 3.1- Clinically Managed Low-Intensity Residential
- Level 2.1- Intensive Outpatient Programming (IOP)
To obtain prior authorization for these services, please complete Colorado Standard Prior Authorization Request form along with clinical documentation supporting the ASAM level of care and fax it to 970-257-3986 or secure email it to BHVM@RMHP.org.
These services require 24 hour notification of admission:
- Level 3.7WM- Medically Monitored Withdrawal Management
- Level 3.2WM- Clinically Managed Withdrawal Management
Frequently Asked Questions
For questions about the new Medicaid Substance Use Disorder (SUD) benefit please contact SUD Support at SUDSupport@rmhp.org.