Focus on Mom's Health this Mother's Day
Celebrate Mother’s Day the Healthy Way
It’s a story familiar to many moms and their families: Mom focuses her energy on the health and well-being of her family, forgetting about her own health needs.
This mother’s day (and every other day), let’s change that narrative! Focusing on mom’s health, and women’s health in general, is one of the most powerful things you can do this Mother’s Day.
Most common health issues for women
According to WebMD, there are the top five health issues facing women in the U.S. today:
1. Heart disease
2. Breast cancer
5. Autoimmune diseases
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, there are five big things women can do to focus on and ultimately improve their health
● Visit their doctor for routine screenings and checkups
● Become more physically active
● Eat healthier
● Nix unhealthy habits, like smoking
● Focus on mental health by managing stress and getting enough sleep
With all of this in mind, here’s how you can plan a day full of healthy, and fun, Mother’s Day celebrations. You might even inspire mom to focus on her health more often.
Prepare a healthy Mother’s Day brunch
Kick your day off by making mom a healthy and delicious brunch spread. She stays busy making sure the entire family eats a well-balanced diet, so it’s time to return the favor.
Stumped about what to make? This list from the Huffington Post is full of great recipe ideas for your Mother’s Day brunch
Heart disease risk can be reduced with a healthy diet and exercise, so don’t skip out on the next part of your healthy Mother’s Day.
Get outside and get active with mom
According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, osteoporosis threatens 44 million Americans (68% of them are women). A sedentary lifestyle increases those risks, so make a point to get some exercise in this Mother’s Day.
● Go on a family-friendly hike
along one of Colorado’s many trails.
● Head out to the park — walk around, play, and enjoy being outside together.
● Walk around and look at the blooming trees and wildflowers
● Go for a bike ride together.
● If the ski resorts remain open, get some spring skiing in
● If the weather isn’t great, walk around a museum, the mall, or attend a fitness class.
● Try something new together, like one of these activities
Ideally, you’ll find an activity that you and mom can do throughout the year.
Help mom help the family
Moms have a lot on their to-do lists, so yours will surely appreciate a bit of extra help knocking a few things off her own agenda. You might prepare healthy family meals for the week, for example.
To make her even happier, try tackling these projects before Mother’s Day, so that you can all enjoy a relaxed day together.