It is Farmers’ Market season again in Colorado
If you have never been to a farmer’s market, these are food markets where local farmers sell fruit, vegetables, cheese and other products.
Farmers’ markets are a great place to find local nutritious ingredients for your weekly cooking. If you feel overwhelmed by the number of vendors, try planning your trip before you go. Remember, most produce is seasonal, so what you find in June will be different in August.
Here are a few fun ideas and nutritious recipes to get you started. Grab your reusable bags and head to your local Colorado farmers’ market for good food, a fun atmosphere and some sunshine.
June : What is seasonal this month?
- Fresh cherries, strawberries and blueberries arrive late spring to early summer; try all three for breakfast with Greek yogurt or oatmeal.
- Many lettuces are harvested in June and can be topped with other seasonal ingredients like peas, radishes, and asparagus.
- Fennel and new potatoes are fresh is June. Try them on the grill for an accompaniment to a nice summer meal.
Greek Yogurt with Warm Berry Sauce
-a great breakfast or dessert option
Grilled Chicken with Spicy Cherry Sauce
-perfect for lunch or dinner
Parmesan Garlic Grilled Asparagus
-an easy appetizer or side dish
Pea & New Potato Salad
-perfect for a cookout
-low calorie dessert with antioxidants
July: What is seasonal this month?
- Grilled corn and pasta salads with fresh shallots, tomatoes and cucumbers make a great addition to your Fourth of July celebration!
- Chard and beets are now in season and can easily be added to your salads or grilled with your other favorites.
Swiss Chard Tzatziki
-perfect appetizer with veggies and whole grain crackers
Grilled Salmon with Charred-Corn Relish
-impress your friends and family with this easy dish
Farmers’ Market Potato Salad –a colorful and healthier potato salad
Grilled Beets with Goat’s Cheese and Walnuts
-get creative with beets
Grilled Corn with Chipotle Butter
-perfect side dish for cookouts
Red, White, and Blue Cookie Tarts
-Fourth of July inspired dessert
August – September:
What is seasonal during these months?
- Stone fruits (peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots) are harvested. Along with melons, apples, pears and more!
- Squash, eggplant, and sweet peppers. Start preparing for the winter blues by adding color to your dishes.
Summer Smoothie Recipe
-start the morning with a summer inspired smoothie
-beat the heat with this refreshing drink
Roasted Eggplant Soup
-for cooler September days
Summer Grilled Vegetable Pizza
-jazz up your pizza with seasonal vegetables
Peach & Fennel Slaw
-perfect dish for an end of summer celebration
Apple Pie… in an Apple
-fun for the entire family.