‘Tis the season for scrubbing out cupboards and cleaning out closets: It’s Spring Cleaning!
It can be hard to get excited about spring-cleaning, but a quick overview of hidden health benefits may be just the motivation you’re looking for.
1) It burns calories – The longer you clean, the more you will burn. Take your time… vacuum slowly and incorporate lunges, then dust, scrub, swipe and reach with gusto to work your arms and abs. You can burn more than 100 calories an hour, depending on how hard you work!
2) It can improve your mood– Cleaning is a productive and healthy way to release anger and frustration; activity releases mood-enhancing endorphins. And of course, it is easier to relax and feel optimistic in a clean and uncluttered home. Finally, when you know where your keys, purse and favorite lipstick are, you are less likely to run late for appointments.
3) You can breathe easier– Dust mites, pollen, animal dander, mold spores, mildew and more lurk in carpets, corners, crevices, drapes and air ducts. Left unchecked, these household allergens can cause sneezing, headaches, a weakened immune system and other serious health issues.
4) You can eat better and save money– With a clean and organized refrigerator, freezer and pantry, you can take quick inventory of your food stock and avoid purchasing items you already have. What’s more, when healthy food choices are easier to spot, you will be more likely to choose them.
5) You can protect others– By reviewing the contents of your medicine cabinet on a regular basis and properly disposing of medications that are expired or no longer necessary, you can protect your family and the environment from exposure to potentially dangerous drugs. The FDA website provides guidelines for responsible medication disposal.
It’s time to turn up the music, roll up your sleeves and start scrubbing!