One of the most fun summer activities for many is outdoor swimming! Whether you swim in a pool, lake, or ocean, being able to cool off with a plunge into the water is one of the greatest joys of warm weather.
Keep yourself and your family safe while indulging in your favorite aquatic exercises with these swimming safety guidelines. Do you have a favorite water safety tip of your own?
- Recognize the signs of drowning. It’s not as dramatic as the movies portray, and knowing the real signs of struggle can be a literal life-saver.
- Make sure you can swim well – can you do these five water exercises? If not, take a class to become safe in the water!
- Swim with a buddy!
- Swim only in designated areas of beaches and lakes.
- Secure backyard pools with a barrier, whether a fence or a cover.
- Drink a lot of water and reapply sunscreen! Pause for a hydration and sunscreen break every 2 hours, at the very least.
- Avoid swimming if the weather looks dangerous, including lightening, thunder or summer storms.
- NEVER leave a child unattended near water. And avoid distractions while watching kids near water.
- NEVER leave a child in the care of another child near water.
- Have young children take swimming classes as early as possible. They are never too young.
- If a child is missing, check the water immediately and make sure you know the subtle signs of drowning/distress.
- Get certified in CPR, especially CPR for children.
Swimming fun in the sun is one of the highlights of the summer and a great healthy activity! Just be sure to stay safe and keep your family safe as you take the plunge.
Have any swimming safety tips to add? Let us know in the comments!